Monday, December 22, 2008

The Reason for the Season...I am reminded at this time of year all the little things I have to be thankful for and there are many. I have a healthy family, a roof over my head, food to eat, water, heat - all taken care of. There is a song Amy Grant sings that says "I need a Silent Night to hear an angel's voice above the chaos and the noise. I need a Midnight Clear a little peace right here." For some reason that song hit me, I was reminded that Christmas isn't about the hustle and bustle, the craziness of trying to get it all done but about the Baby Jesus. I am thankful that so long ago God would send His Son to the this earth to live among us that we might know Him. He loves each of us and wants to know us personally. He is the peace at this time of year and all year long. He is our joy at all times, no matter the circumstances. He is all we really need. The world wants us to believe that we need all this stuff, but we really only need Jesus to fulfill the need in our life. Without Jesus, we just keep looking for things to fill our lives up. I find that often in the chaos of the day I forget to rely on Jesus. I am so thankful that when I am not faithful HE ALWAYS remains faithful. The world would have us believe we can rely on ourselves, and I am thankful I can rely on Jesus. I am thankful for that baby in a manger so many years ago. His birth was a quiet one; not a lot of fanfare in the grand scheme of things, and yet in that moment the greatest gift any of us will ever know was born. He wasn't the one everyone may have been looking for because although He is the King of Kings there was no castle but a stable. He was a baby who would make a great sacrifice that we can know life. I am thankful to know the Reason for the Season.

No comments: